Linux as a Desktop OS
So I'm going to try to use Linux as my primary operating system again. Of course this isn't a good test of if its ready for prime time since I use Linux at work and have tried this before and each time I try it it gets easier (I think partly because Linux has gotten better and partly because I've gotten more used to it).
So far I've found 2 problems:
1) Games! They still don't work very well (even with Cedega)... I'm going to try regular Wine and see what happens with that...
2) GAIM and the current incarnation of Google Talk don't play well together sometimes. (When you IM someone it seems to prefer using their Gmail Chat window instead of their Google Talk client... It would be nice if you could choose where to send it...)
On the plus side I like my desktop alot better than windows. I've got some really fun widgets and stuff to satisfy my techno geeky self. Plus the icons (for the most part) are scalable vector graphics (svg) which means that the icons actually scale with the resolution you are using and you can zoom in on them with out them getting blury or pixilated (its a small thing but it makes the whole desktop look much cleaner).

So anyway this is probably just my first post in a series as I find stuff I like and stuff that I dislike about Linux as a desktop OS. And just for the record I happen to love Linux as a server and embedded OS, I think the desktop is really the only thing that Linux isn't great at yet.
So far I've found 2 problems:
1) Games! They still don't work very well (even with Cedega)... I'm going to try regular Wine and see what happens with that...
2) GAIM and the current incarnation of Google Talk don't play well together sometimes. (When you IM someone it seems to prefer using their Gmail Chat window instead of their Google Talk client... It would be nice if you could choose where to send it...)
On the plus side I like my desktop alot better than windows. I've got some really fun widgets and stuff to satisfy my techno geeky self. Plus the icons (for the most part) are scalable vector graphics (svg) which means that the icons actually scale with the resolution you are using and you can zoom in on them with out them getting blury or pixilated (its a small thing but it makes the whole desktop look much cleaner).

So anyway this is probably just my first post in a series as I find stuff I like and stuff that I dislike about Linux as a desktop OS. And just for the record I happen to love Linux as a server and embedded OS, I think the desktop is really the only thing that Linux isn't great at yet.

2 Comments:
OMG. As geeky as I am, you just overgeekified me.
But I did just meet the only other woman in the city of Austin with a Treo for the second time this week. I was at the coffee shop by myself for brunch and saw what I thought at first was another woman with a Treo, until she turned around and called me "Treo Girl" and I realized I'd met her on Friday.
NERD!!!!!!!! :-P No worries tho... apparently I'm partial to nerds. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home